Photo Credits- People photo created by cookie_studio – www.freepik.com
TRX is one of the affordable and convenient things to have at home. As you can do many different kinds of exercises without any use of the heavy equipments. Most of the exercise is done bodyweight which engages your core and other stabilizing muscles which makes it an athletic movement.
So if you are wondering how you can do tricep exercises with TRX, then this blog is for you. Here, you will find some of the unique and effective ways to target the tricep muscle by using a TRX suspension trainer.
1. TRX Tricep Extension
This is one of the most effective TRX exercises for your triceps. This is the TRX version of skull crushers. This will engage your core and other stabilizer muscles which makes it perfect bodyweight exercise.
Level- Beginner to intermediate
How to do
1. Attach a TRX Suspension at the top and hold each end of the TRX.
2. Now move your legs back and lean forward while holding the handles. Keep your arms straight in front and this will be your starting position.
3. Start the exercise by lowering your body such that your forearms move back. Your elbows should not move much.
4. Pause at the top when your triceps are fully stretched and then use your tricep muscle to push yourself back to the starting position.
Remember to breathe in on the way down and breath out on the way up. Also, keep your knees extended and core engaged.
Tips For Beginners
If you are a beginner, then don’t go too down or in other words, reduce the range of motion. Stop when your elbows are flexed at a 90° angle.
2. TRX Close Grip Press
This is a pressing movement to increase the strength and size of the tricep. When performing a pressing movement with a close grip activates your triceps more.
How to do
1. Attach the TRX suspension at the top and hold each end of the handles. Move your legs back and lean forward.
2. Keep both arms down and straight. Both hands should be close to each other. This will be your starting position.
3. Start the exercise by slowly lowering your body while keeping your hands close to each other. Stop until your hands reach the abdomen.
4. Now push with your arms to bring the body back to the starting position.
Make sure that your core is engaged throughout the movement. If you are a beginner, then start with more of an upright position. Once you get comfortable with it, then perform with a lower-body position.
3. TRX Close-Grip Pushup
If you want to increase the strength of your upper body, then this exercise is for you. Close-grip push-ups help to increase the overall size of your tricep. Keeping your legs hooked on the TRX puts extra tension on your core and improves balance.
Level- Intermediate to advance
How to do
1. Hook your ankles inside the TRX handle and keep your hands on the floor at about 1 ft. apart. This will be your starting position.
2. Start the pushup by bringing your chest down and stop at the bottom when the chest is almost touching the hands.
3. Now push with your arms and bring your body back to the starting position.
This is a full-body exercise you can do at home without any equipment. You just need a TRX for this which you can easily buy at a cheap price.
4. TRX Tricep Dips
If you don’t have a dip bar, then you can do TRX dips. This is a little challenging exercise compared to the regular dips but is much more effective. If you are a beginner, then it’s better to first do bench dips. However, if you are already good at dips then you must try this!
How to do
1. Hook the TRX suspension anywhere at the top and hold both ends of the TRX.
2. Sit at the half-squat position with your arms straight at the sides. This will be your starting position.
3. Start the exercise by moving your body down and keep your body straight.
4. Stop at the bottom and then push with your hands and use your triceps to return to the starting position.
bodyweight exercises like dips are a great way to build strength and size. It also activates your core to a greater extent when done with a TRX. So if your main focus is to build the size and overall strength of your items, then you should do dips.
5. TRX Tricep Kickbacks
Tricep kickback is a very effective exercise in targeting all three heads of the tricep. This is usually done with dumbbells, but here we are talking about TRX tricep kickbacks. This engages your core more than regular dumbbell kickbacks. You can add this to your TRX home workout during a tricep workout.
How to do
1. Attach a TRX at the top corner of the hook and hold both ends of the TRX.
2. Now step back and lean back while keeping your arms at a 90° angle. This will be your starting position.
3. Start the exercise by moving your arms back behind the body and extend your elbows at the end.
4. Then slowly move your hands forward and return slowly to the starting position.
Keep in mind that your back is not leaning forward or rounding too much during the movement. Also, keep your neck neutral and shoulders pinched back. This will avoid you from injury and will also put maximum tension on the triceps.
6. TRX Tricep Pushdown
If you don’t have a cable machine, then you can do a tricep pushdown with TRX suspension. It’s easy to set up at home and will be as effective as cable tricep pushdown if done correctly.
Level- Beginner to intermediate
How to do
1. Attach a TRX suspension at your home and stand straight with your arms extended while holding the TRX. This will be the starting position.
2. Start the exercise by moving your body backward and move your forearms upward as you move. Stop until the elbow is at a 45° angle.
3. Now start bringing your body forward by using your arms and completely extend your arms at the end.
Do’s And Don’t
1. Don’t bend your back as you move. Keep your back straight.
2. Keep your abs engaged throughout the movement. This will prevent you from arching the lower back.
3. Fully extend your elbows at the end to create the maximum load on the triceps.
If you are overweight, then don’t do this exercise because it’s very difficult to move your weight with the help of your arm. Also if you are a beginner, then do it with a limited range of motion. Increase the range of motion once you have built enough strength.
TRX Tricep Workout Program
This is one of the sample workout programs for training triceps with TRX. You can do this workout at home and all you need is a TRX suspension. So let’s begin!
Always start the exercise with a warm-up. Do 3 sets of TRX tricep pushdowns, 3 sets of 12 reps. Then start with the main workout.
|1||TRX Close Grip Pushup||8||4||2 minutes|
|2||TRX Tricep Dips||10||3||90 seconds|
|3||TRX Tricep Extension||12||3||60 seconds|
|4||TRX Tricep Kickbacks||15||3||60 seconds|
All the above exercises are already discussed previously in detail. If you are confused with any exercise or want to learn more about each of these exercises, then scroll up to get the information.
So in this article, we looked at some of the best tricep exercises with TRX suspension. All these exercises should be done with proper form and technique to get the most out of each workout. Also, TRX exercises require a good amount of core strength. So an obese or beginner might find some exercises difficult. So you must consult a health or fitness professional before starting any exercise.
Also, there are some other bodyweight exercises which you can do at home which do not require too much equipments. You can include those bodyweight movements with these TRX exercises to make the overall workout effective.
If you found this article helpful, then do share it with your friends or on social media so that more people can get the information. Also, if you like to share your knowledge on this topic, then do share it with all of us in the comment section below.
Roshan Pillai is an ACSM Certified Personal Trainer with more than 6 years of experience in lifting weights and guiding people to get fit. He has worked as a personal trainer in gyms and is the owner and editor of fitnessproworkout.com. He is passionate about fitness and helping people to get in shape.